eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eReaders
Download popular eBooks and eAudiobooks for free to your computer, portable player, eBook reader, tablet, and smartphone from the Maine Infonet Download Library, powered by OverDrive and offered in partnership with other Maine libraries.
What you need to get started
- A library card in good standing from PPL or any participating library
- A compatible computer or device
- In some cases, you will need to download software (Adobe Digital Editions) and/or an app (OverDrive Media Console)
The fine print…
- Lending period is 7 or 14 days, your choice.
- You do not need to return items; they will automatically become inactive on your device after the loan expires.
- You may borrow up to 3 electronic titles at a time.
- In most cases, you may return items early.
- If an item is checked out to other patrons, you may add your name to a “Hold” list and we ill email you when it becomes available. You may place 3 items on hold at a time. Once the email is sent, you have 3 days to check out the item.
- Items are renewable if there are no holds pending.
- For more information, view the Download Library Lending Policies.
“Always Available” eBooks
You can also download eBooks, for free and without due dates, that are out-of-copyright or “public domain” from these sources:
- Always Available eBooks on Overdrive uses the same site as the Download Library, but does not count towards your 3 item limit. Includes most of Project Gutenberg’s eBooks.
- Smashwords eBooks is the world’s largest distributor of indie eBooks, specializing in new voices in all categories and genres of the written word. Requires registration.
- Librivox eAudiobooks
- ThoughtAudio.com eAudiobooks
- Librophile eBooks and eAudiobooks
- InkMesh is a free eBook search engine that helps you find free books and compare prices on paid content.
Try out eBooks on a PPL Nook eReader!
Try out the digital reading experience on one of PPL’s Nook Simple Touch eReaders that are pre-loaded with popular books and are available for the usual 3-week loan period. Choose the pre-loaded Nook that suits you – popular fiction, teen bestsellers, current science & nature titles, kid favorites & award-winners.