Life of the Library

What’s new?


Portland History : the Guptill Building, on Commercial Street

posted: , by Abraham
tags: Library Collections | Adults | Seniors | Portland History

Processing and preserving our archival collections is a constant discovery. Here is one of countless occasions at which artifacts bring us to an enhanced appreciation of what we see around us. (After reading through this entry, you might enjoy simply scrolling back up and down again- to notice similarites and changes to this historic Old Port building on Commercial Street.

Here is 175 – 181 Commercial Street, as it appeared circa 1910. Guptill was in the ship stores business, as you can detect by the wares in the windows and on the sidewalk. Just to the right hand side- out of the picture- would be Moulton Street. This original photograph is an albumen contact print.

Fast-forward to 1972, as the Guptill Building appears again. This time the image is from our in-process Portland Press Herald Still-Film Negative Collection. The building was among the initial renovation projects that transformed the waterfront district into the popular Old Port Exchange. Here is the caption from the Evening Express of May 20, 1972: “Old Building Sold – Charlton Smith, second from left, president of Greater Portland Landmarks, hands the deed for the Guptill Building at Commercial and Moulton Streets, background, to Franklin L. Brooks, treasurer of the Ralph D. Brooks and Sons insurance agency. George W. Crockett, left, realtor for the sale; D.W. Christopherson, second right, architect for the renovation; and Ralph D. Brooks Jr., president of the firm, look on.”

Here is the same storefront as seen in the ca.1910 photograph, but this time it was taken this morning- on January 10, 2012. Moulton Street is at right.

Once more, the Guptill Building- and a full view- taken on January 10, 2012. Recognize the place now?


Polar express!

posted: , by Abraham
tags: Library Collections | Adults | Seniors | Portland History

The weather outside today may not be quite as frightful as in this image, there are a few visual hints that reveal the location as Commercial Street. Taken in 1956 by a Portland Press Herald photographer, here is a snow-caked Canadian National train. In the background, at right, a section of the Grand Trunk Railroad grain conveyor is visible.

Happy Holidays, Everyone !


Portland History : Scandinavian Communities

posted: , by Abraham
tags: Library Collections | Adults | Seniors | Portland History

In our continuing series of cultural snapshots of Portland’s colorful history, this week offers a few archival images that accentuate the presence of Scandinavians here in the city. For centuries, there have been communities of Norwegians, Danes, and Swedes in the Portland area- settling here in Maine from northern Europe. The following photographs, from the Portland Press Herald Still-Film Negative Collection, which is now part of the Portland Public Library Archives, demonstrate some of the Scandinavian traditions and institutions that continue today. The archival collection is in-process, though here are a few discoveries.

This image is from 1960, with a great example of traditional Scandinavian dress.

Portland’s Bayside was the early center of Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish communities. There were churches on Mayo Street (Saint Ansgar), Elm Street (First Lutheran), and Wilmot Street (Scandinavian Baptist), in close proximity and maintaining their native languages. Here is a wedding in 1937.

From 1953, with Danish Christmas cookies forming a tower- called Kransekaker.

Portland’s famous Nissen Bakery (at left) on Washington Avenue, in its 90-year presence on Munjoy Hill, was founded in 1900 by Jürgen Jepsen Nissen- who immigrated from Denmark.

A little further reading about the J.J. Nissen Bakery- and its neighboring streets- can be found here.

In this photo, taken immediately after World War II, in 1948, two Norwegian women display traditional as well as patriotic symbols.

Immanuel Lutheran Church, at 14 Sherman Street, in Parkside- taken in 1962.

The old Saint Ansgar Lutheran Church, 10 Mayo Street, in Bayside. The Munjoy Hill reservoir water tower is in the background. This was taken in 1955.

Members of the Saint Ansgar community, in 1961, breaking ground for their new church (which merged in the Immanuel Lutheran Church from Parkside) at Rosemont Corner. This was taken in 1961.

Photo taken June 11, 1962 at the opening of the Saint Ansgar Church, 515 Woodford Street (Rosemont Corner). The parish will observe its 50th anniversary at this address in the coming year.

View Posts by Date:
Filter Posts:
Connect with the Library: