eBooks, eAudiobooks, streaming music and movies, and eReaders
Introducing hoopla, PPL’s newest digital borrowing platform that allows you to stream movies, television, music and audiobooks for free! Choose from thousands of Hollywood blockbusters, best selling authors and music artists and from an extensive catalog of educational materials, children’s titles, foreign films, and hard-to-find content.
Hoopla is a division of Midwest Tape, a trusted name in the library world of audiotapes, movies and music. We selected their product for ease of use and the breadth of their content.
To begin you’ll need a Portland Public Library card. Go to hoopladigital.com and:
1. Follow their quick and easy sign-in process.
2. If you want hoopla on the go, you can install their free mobile app on your iOS, Android device, or Kindle Fire HDX.
That’s it! Once you sign in, you are set to begin borrowing. You can borrow up to 6 items per month. Loan periods vary depending on format — audiobooks for 21 days, movie and TV titles for 3 days, and music titles for 7 days. Try hoopla and let us know what you think!
Download popular eBooks and eAudiobooks for free to your computer, portable player, eBook reader, tablet, and smartphone from the Maine Infonet Download Library, powered by OverDrive and offered in partnership with other Maine libraries. PPL also subscribes to OverDrive Advantage, which gives PPL cardholders additional titles to download. (See IMPORTANT! note below.)
What you need to get started
- A library card in good standing from PPL or any participating library
- A compatible computer or device
- In some cases, you will need to download software (Adobe Digital Editions) and/or an app (OverDrive Media Console)
The fine print…
- IMPORTANT! To see PPL’s exclusive content, remember to log in with your personal PPL library card number before searching for titles! This will ensure that your search results include all of the Overdrive Advantage content available to PPL cardholders only.
- Lending period is 7 or 14 days, your choice.
- You do not need to return items; they will automatically become inactive on your device after the loan expires.
- You may borrow up to 3 electronic titles at a time.
- In most cases, you may return items early.
- If an item is checked out to other patrons, you may add your name to a “Hold” list and we ill email you when it becomes available. You may place 3 items on hold at a time. Once the email is sent, you have 3 days to check out the item.
- Items are renewable if there are no holds pending.
- For more information, view the Download Library Lending Policies.
“Always Available” eBooks
You can also download eBooks, for free and without due dates, that are out-of-copyright or “public domain” from these sources:
- Always Available eBooks on Overdrive uses the same site as the Download Library, but does not count towards your 3 item limit. Includes most of Project Gutenberg’s eBooks.
- Smashwords eBooks is the world’s largest distributor of indie eBooks, specializing in new voices in all categories and genres of the written word. Requires registration.
- Librivox eAudiobooks
- ThoughtAudio.com eAudiobooks
- Librophile eBooks and eAudiobooks
- InkMesh is a free eBook search engine that helps you find free books and compare prices on paid content.
Try out eBooks on a PPL Nook eReader!
Try out the digital reading experience on one of PPL’s Nook Simple Touch eReaders that are pre-loaded with popular books and are available for the usual 3-week loan period. Choose the pre-loaded Nook that suits you – popular fiction, teen bestsellers, current science & nature titles, kid favorites & award-winners.
Les livres electroniques en francais!
La biblotheque a deux lecteurs de livres electroniques (Nook Simple Touch) avec plus de vingt livres electroniques en francais pour les francophones ou bien pour ceux qui aiment la langue francaise.
On peut les emprunter pour trois semaines (exactement comme les livres imprimes).