Applying for Your First Work Authorization
- Submit your asylum application (asylum application guidance from ILAP)
- Wait five months (150 days)
- Submit the I-765 Application for Employment Authorization. Complete one application for each person applying.
- Work permit should arrive in 4-6 weeks, social security cards will follow
**Most asylum seekers choose to apply for work permits for their children, in order to get them social security cards.**
As you approach 150 days, things to do to prepare:
- Join the ASAP organization (no cost). ASAP Members are allowed to apply for their first work permit after 150 days for free. Apply for membership here:
- Make sure each applicant has a government-issued photo ID (can be expired, can be from foreign government, a photo or copy of the ID is usable if you don’t have the original). If you don’t have one, contact WTS for advice.
- Get two passport photos for each applicant
- Contact Hope Acts to make an appointment if you would like assistance with the Application for Employment Authorization.
**The first work permit application is free**
Renewing a work authorization
Work permits are good for two years. Adults should begin planning to renew their work permit 6 months before it expires. The cost for renewal is $495 for each applicant.
Children do not need to renew their work permits until they are old enough to work.
You can make an appointment to meet with a person from Hope Acts to assist with the application by calling, texting or using WhatsApp to telephone number (207) 613-5052 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org