Borrowing in CloudLibrary
Welcome to CloudLibrary!
First, have you downloaded the CloudLibrary app? Find instructions here for:
Sadly, due to Amazon’s restrictions, the Kindle App and Amazon e-ink devices (Paperwhite, Touch, etc.) are not compatible with CloudLibrary. Find more ideas for Paperwhite books here.
You are now ready to borrow!
Option 1: Through the CloudLibrary app
Watch these short videos to learn how to find, borrow, and read books in the CloudLibrary app.
Option 2: Through the CloudLibrary website
- Open the CloudLibrary website.
- Click the green Login button. Log in using your library card number, and click Accept.
- Browse our lists of books, or search for a title, author, or subject in the search box.
- When you find a book you’d like, click on the cover.
- If an item is available, click on the green Borrow button.
- If an item is currently checked out, click on the blue Place Hold button. You can then choose to be notified by email when it is ready.
- Looking for something to read right now? Change your searching filters!
- Click Filters at the top of the page and select Available Now.
Option 3: Through the Portland Public Library catalog
*Please note: To see the largest selection of CloudLibrary eBooks, we recommend borrowing items directly through CloudLibrary.
- Log in to your Portland Public Library account. (If you are unable to log in, contact us.)
- Search for a title, author, or subject in the search box at the top of the page.
- If a book is available as an eBook, you will see a listing for eBook.
- If a book is available as an eAudiobook, you will see a listing for Downloadable audiobook.
If an item is available to borrow now:
- Click on the green Checkout Now button, then click it one more time. You can now access this item from your CloudLibrary app and the CloudLibrary website.
If an item is currently unavailable, you can get on the waiting list:
- Click on the green Request This Download button.
- Make sure your email address is accurate, and click Place Hold.
- CloudLibrary will email you when the item is ready.
Questions? Comments? Troubles? Let us know!