Related Topics• Health »
Affordable Care Act Information
In March 2010, President Obama signed comprehensive health reform, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), into law. The law intends to make health care more accessible and affordable for all Americans.
Unsure about the Affordable Care Act? Need to know how it affects you? Thinking about signing up for insurance? Meet with a Health Insurance Marketplace Certified Assistors from Opportunity Alliance at the Main Library Wednesdays from 10:30-12:30 during the open enrollment period. Certified Assistors from Portland Community Health will be here on Fridays from 10:00-12:00. The Open Enrollment period for 2015 coverage begins on November 15, 2014 and ends February 15, 2015.
The two Certified Assistors agencies in the Portland area are the Portland Community Health Center and the Opportunity Alliance. Call (207) 874-2141 ext. 5007 to reach Portland Community Health Center to learn about the new health insurance options. Opportunity Alliance runs the 2-1-1 service and people can call that number to locate sources of assistance. The Certified Assistors cannot recommend one policy over another but can explain the options and guide people through the process.
The links on this page will help you find answers to questions about the ACA program:
Call 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325) to get answers to your health care questions by a customer service representative, available 24/7. On calling, you’ll be welcomed to the Health Insurance Marketplace and asked to give your state.
If you live in Maine (both individuals and small businesses), you will use The Health Insurance Marketplace, to apply for coverage, compare plans, and enroll.
- To prepare to enroll, you can learn about types of health coverage, research your questions, and figure out what you need to know before open enrollment begins.
- Short videos are available on:
For more general information about the ACA:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- The Kaiser Family Foundation.
- The Affordable Care Act: What’s Next for Maine? Trish Riley, Muskie School of Public Service
- Consumers for Affordable Healthcare
- The Maine State Library – provides helpful links to summary videos, fact sheets and links to printable forms (for those who do not wish to apply online)
- Tax Provisions. The ACA contains new health insurance coverage and financial assistance options for individuals and families. The IRS will administer the tax provisions included in the law.
- Are you a Veteran? Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs page ‘VA, Affordable Care Act and You’
Forms – Marketplace Consumer Application
**Updated for 11/15/2015
- About the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) - brochure
- Things to Think About When Choosing a Plan for Your Business - fact sheet
- How to offer employee health insurance using the SHOP Marketplace