Tax Season 2021
Portland Public Library and all of its branches have 1040 Federal Tax Forms and limited copies of the Federal 1040 instruction booklets and 1099-MISC forms available to pick up.
Tax filing season has been extended to May 17, 2021. Click here for IRS tips for making filing your taxes quick and easy, during Covid.
If you need other tax forms (e.g. Form W-2, Form 1099-NEC, etc.) go to www.irs.gov/forms-instructions or www.irs.gov/orderforms to view, order or download the form, or call 800-829-3676 to place an order by phone.
Due to coronavirus related precautions, AARP Tax-Aide will not be available through Portland Public Library this year. However, AARP Tax-Aide will operate drive-through sites in South Portland, Gorham, and Westbrook. To reserve an appointment at one of these sites, call 207-518-8579. For more information, visit their website.
An additional tax prep program is available locally through the United Way called CA$H. They will have sites open throughout Portland and Scarborough. For more information about the CA$H program call 207-347-2335 or visit their website.
There have been changes in recent years to how the IRS and the State of Maine are distributing print tax forms. Please follow the links below to learn more and to find out how to obtain tax forms.
- Federal 1040 instruction booklets and forms are available at all library locations.
- All additional federal forms, instruction booklets, and publications can be downloaded and printed from IRS.gov.
- You can also order forms and have them sent to you by visiting this page of the IRS website or by calling 1-800-829-3676 .
- The library has a limited number of 1099 Misc forms available to pick up. If you need additional forms that cannot be printed and you do not have time to order them from the IRS you can go to www.irs.gov/orderforms to view, order or download forms, or call 800-829-3676 to place an order by phone. IRS tax forms and schedules are also available for purchase locally from Staples.
Maine State Forms
- Maine state tax instruction booklets and forms are not available at the library.
- Maine state tax instruction booklets and forms are only available for download or through the State of Maine website at maine.gov.
- For more information, visit the State of Maine Revenue website or call (207) 624-9595.
Federal 1040 forms, Federal 1040 instruction booklets, and 1099 MISC forms are available at all library locations. Please contact the Reference Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 871-1700 x725 if you would like to request additional printed forms. We are not able to print instruction booklets at this time.
- Do I need to file a tax return?
- What is my filing status?
- Do I have to declare my stimulus checks as income?
- Do I have to report my unemployment checks?
- How do I file my taxes electronically?
- How do I choose a tax preparer?
Question: How do I apply for the Maine Rent Rebate?
Answer: Maine no longer applies the Rent Rebate refund separately in the fall. This refund is now included in your income tax filing. It is one of the first questions on the form. Pine Tree Legal provides more information on this and explains how to claim this refund if you DO NOT file a Maine income tax form.
Visit the State of Maine website to find out if you qualify for any of Maine’s tax relief and credit programs.
For answers to more of your questions about filing your federal taxes see the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant tool.
We are happy to help!