Teen Summer Reading
Welcome to Teen Summer Reading!
Summer is coming, which means longer days, warmer weather, and of course – Summer Reading! From June 7th to July 31st, teens of the greater Portland area are invited to join us for an open-ended summer of self-guided reading and relaxation. Register here!
You’re in charge this year! Pick a goal that’s meaningful to you, whether that means reading as many books as you can, trying to read a certain amount every day or week, or exploring new authors and genres. You could try to enjoy a book in as many different places as possible – hello, beach reads – or only take on recommended reads from friends and family. Get creative! If that’s too overwhelming, don’t worry – we’ve included some suggestions in our Reading Log to get you started. Download the printable log here.
How does it work?
- First, sign up with our registration form, either online or with a paper form (available soon from any Library branch).
- Make sure you use a personal email address, not a school email address! The school’s email system does not allow external emails so we will not be able to contact you if you use one.
- Choose from our reading options during registration: activism, adventure, comedy, comics, poetry, romance, spooky, or sports. You will get two free books in your favorite category to keep!
- Starting in July, you can pick up your summer reading goodies at the Library location you selected during registration – the Main Library, Burbank, Riverton, or Peaks Island.
- Summer reading materials include: two books, a notebook, a pencil, sidewalk chalk, reusable water bottle, hand sanitizer, stress ball, smart phone wallet, snacks, and an entry for our Summer Reading raffle – all packaged in a fabric drawstring bag.
- Track the books you read throughout the summer with our Summer Reading Log.
- If you need help setting a goal, check out our list of suggestions included with the log!
- Optional: You can also send in your Summer Reading raffle entry (a pre-stamped postcard included in the first 100 signups) for a chance to win our grand prize!
- Make sure to fill out the postcard with your first initial and last name, so that we can contact you if you win the raffle.
- If you want to take part, return your postcard by August 2nd to avoid missing out on our August drawing!