All Library locations will be closed at 1pm on Wed, Dec 24, and all day Dec 25 for Christmas. We will re-open for regular hours on Fri, Dec 26.
Looking for something to read, watch, or listen to? Explore our download and streaming resources and share with friends.
X

Funding & Outcomes

The Portland Public Library is a 501(c)3 nonprofit institution originally created in 1867 through both private philanthropy and city government funding, a tradition of support that it maintains today.

Approximately 86% of the annual operating budget of $4,000,000 comes from city, county, and state government sources which funds infrastructure costs including personnel and our facilities. The remaining 14% of the budget comes from library fees, donations, the endowment, the Annual Fund and restricted gifts. These dollars allow us to purchase books and other materials for our collections and produce innovative programs and events. The Library also receives significant in-kind donations for programs and services.

For more information about the library’s financial operations, including our annual reports, please contact the Administration office at (207) 871-1700, ext. 756.