Every Tuesday, HopeActs will be onsite to help asylum seekers submit applications for work permits (Employment Authorization). PLEASE NOTE: It is illegal to work in the US without work authorization, and doing so can be devastating to an asylum case. Please contact HopeActs to make an appointment or get more information.
Connect with the Library:
Work Permit Clinic for Asylum Seekers
10:15am - 4:00pm
Location: Downtown Library
Asylum seekers can meet with a representative from Hope Acts who can assist with filing applications for work permits (Employment Authorization Cards). Call, text, or WhatsApp (207) 613-5052 or email email@example.com to make an appointment.
About the Series » Work Permit Clinic for Asylum Seekers
Applying for Your First Work Authorization
- Submit your asylum application (asylum application guidance from ILAP)
- Wait five months (150 days)
- Submit the I-765 Application for Employment Authorization. Complete one application for each person applying.
- Work permit should arrive in 4-6 weeks, social security cards will follow
**Most asylum seekers choose to apply for work permits for their children, in order to get them social security cards.**
As you approach 150 days, things to do to prepare:
- Join the ASAP organization (no cost). ASAP Members are allowed to apply for their first work permit after 150 days for free. Apply for membership here:
- Make sure each applicant has a government-issued photo ID (can be expired, can be from foreign government, a photo or copy of the ID is usable if you don’t have the original). If you don’t have one, contact WTS for advice.
- Get two passport photos for each applicant
- Contact Hope Acts to make an appointment if you would like assistance with the Application for Employment Authorization.
**The first work permit application is free**
Renewing a work authorization
Work permits are good for two years. Adults should begin planning to renew their work permit 6 months before it expires. The cost for renewal is $495 for each applicant.
Children do not need to renew their work permits until they are old enough to work.
You can make an appointment to meet with a person from Hope Acts to assist with the application by calling, texting or using WhatsApp to telephone number (207) 613-5052 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org