Employment at PPL
At this time, we have one (1) current opening. Please see below for the Riverton Branch Manager position.
Riverton Branch Manager
This notice posts the opening of the Riverton Branch Manager (SLTA2), 20 hours. This position focuses on leadership, supervision and operation of a branch library. The incumbent in this position is responsible for the delivery of reader’s advisory, programming and reference services to the public. This person manages the branch collections, trains and supervises the branch staff and volunteers, and promotes a safe and welcoming environment with a strong customer service ethic. This person actively engages the Riverton Branch Library in the Riverton School community and the greater Riverton neighborhood community in the life of the Library.
- Plans, supervises and participates in the provision of library services at the Riverton Branch Library, including reader’s advisory, access to library resources, programming and circulation.
- Acts as the on-site liaison of the Riverton Branch to the Riverton School, neighboring schools and community.
- Trains, supervises and evaluates the branch staff and volunteers.
- Working in collaboration with the Lead Librarians and collection managers at other sites, manages and promotes the Riverton Branch collections and programming.
- Plans and coordinates the repairs and maintenance for the Branch in cooperation with the school custodial and maintenance departments and the public library maintenance department.
- Supports system-wide operations by:
- Keeping Associate Director informed of major concerns and needs specific to the Riverton Branch Library.
- Participating in planning, informational and staff development meetings and in other meetings as required.
- Maintaining statistics and other branch records.
- Promotes a safe and welcoming environment at the Riverton Branch and within the System.
- Seeks opportunities for professional development.
- Performs other related duties or tasks as assigned or required.
At entry level, this position requires:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferably in liberal arts; an MLS from an accredited program is desirable but not required, or an equivalent combination of experience, training and education that provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
- Solid background knowledge of adult and children’s literature, including online library resources; experience with children’s programming very helpful.
- Knowledge of sources and procedures in selection of materials, bibliographic research and circulation.
- Basic reference skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize the workload, handle clerical and cash handling tasks for fines, replacement material, etc. effectively.
- Strong technology skills and the ability to assist patrons in the use of eBooks and other library e-services
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with other members of library staff and administration.
- Strong service orientation and demeanor appropriate to provide a high level of customer service to a diverse public.
- Supervisory experience
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Director of Human Resources, Portland Public Library, 5 Monument Square, Portland, ME 04101
Portland, Maine is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the U.S.
Some recent accolades:
- Elle Decor (2015): The Coziest City in America
- Green Living Magazine (2014): #1 Happiest City in the Eastern US
- Huffington Post (2014): One of the 13 Greatest Destination Food Towns
- Outside Magazine (2014): #13 Greatest Place to Live in America
- Smarter Travel (2014): One of America’s Best Small Cities on the Rise
- Wine Enthusiast (2014): One of America’s 5 New Foodie Cities
- Parenting Magazine (2012), Best Cities for Families
- Forbes Magazine (2011), Best Cities for Young Professionals
- GQ Magazine (2010), Coolest Cities in America
- Outside Magazine (2010), Best Towns 2010 (Best Overall, East)
To learn more about Portland: