Employment at PPL
At this time we have one benefited position open. Please see below for more information on the Library Technology Manager/Network Administrator position.
From time to time, we do have substitute and/or shelving positions open. If you are interested in applying for either, please complete the employment application below.
We will contact you in the event an opening arises for which your background seems a good fit.
Library Technology Manager/ Network Administrator
Portland Public Library is looking for a Library Technology Manager/Network Administrator to join this dynamic, mission-driven organization.
This position will manage our technology platform from top to bottom, providing infrastructure expertise and development as well as day-to-day hands-on support in a dynamic, forward-looking information environment. Ideal in this position is the ability to maintain the integrity of the technology infrastructure and to contribute to its vision and growth. The Library is seeking an experienced, energetic and talented individual, who thrives in an environment of high aspirations tempered by limited resources.
- Maintains and continuously refines the technology infrastructure of the Library’s Main, Branch, Annex, and Outreach locations
- Engineers and manages servers, virtual servers, networking, bandwidth, and other central technology systems to ensure availability, functionality, and stability
- Manages and troubleshoots staff and public technology environments, including public computing, public catalog kiosks, public information stations, and other public-service workstations
- Supervises part-time help desk technician.
- Selects all hardware and software for purchase, leads implementations of new systems, and installs all equipment
- Works with all levels of library staff stakeholders for effective planning, deployment, and maintenance of library technology solutions
- Contributes to preparation of annual technology budgets and strategic plans
- Coordinates service agreements and other contracted support with system vendors
- Manages website platform
- Manages telephone system
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science/information systems, or equivalent certification and experience.
- 3-7 years experience with complex, multisite WAN networks, network security and server management
- Proven communication excellence to explain technology needs, consult on technology solutions and teach/coach for technology implementation and maintenance
- Proven expertise with Microsoft Windows servers (Server 2003, Exchange 2007, WSS 3.0, Active Directory); Microsoft certification is a plus
- Proven project management expertise
- Outstanding customer service commitment and practice
- Deep natural curiosity and interest in the changes and challenges of a rapidly transforming institution
- Library experience a plus
- Ability to build strong relationships with all users, stakeholders, and decision makers
- Keen attention to detail
- Well developed sense of humor in a high energy, fast-paced, environment
- Ability to manage numerous projects and issues simultaneously
- Ability to supervise others
Candidates should apply providing a cover letter and resume to:
Portland Public Library
5 Monument Square
Portland, Maine 04101
OR email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Preference will be given to applications received by 4/14/18.
Portland, Maine is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the U.S.
Some recent accolades:
Elle Decor (2015): The Coziest City in America
Green Living Magazine (2014): #1 Happiest City in the Eastern US
Huffington Post (2014): One of the 13 Greatest Destination Food Towns
Outside Magazine (2014): #13 Greatest Place to Live in America
Smarter Travel (2014): One of America’s Best Small Cities on the Rise
Wine Enthusiast (2014): One of America’s 5 New Foodie Cities
Parenting Magazine (2012), Best Cities for Families
Forbes Magazine (2011), Best Cities for Young Professionals
GQ Magazine (2010), Coolest Cities in America
Outside Magazine (2010), Best Towns 2010 (Best Overall, East)
To learn more about Portland: