Employment at PPL
At this time, we have 1 current opening. Please see below for description of the Associate Director (REVISED).
REVISED (If you have applied prior to 9/7/2015 and are still interested, please reapply based on the new job description)
Portland Public Library (PPL) is seeking a dynamic, forward-thinking, enthusiastic change leader who is eager to bring thoughtful, transformative energy and solid library operations expertise to the position of Associate Director.
Scope and Nature of the Position
Reporting to the Executive Director, a major area of focus for the Associate Director is the delivery and assessment of Library operations. The Associate Director will be a critical leader for Library staff and will help deepen relationships with our non-profit and municipal partners. Much of this effort will be focused on the constituencies we serve through our physical spaces, bookmobile, “Portable Library,” and our virtual service environment, and will be structured through system-wide organizational teams which the Associate Director facilitates at the highest level. This position participates in the development and implementation of infrastructure and other strategic initiatives and is a key contributor to the establishment of a positive and healthy organizational culture focused on the mission of the library.
The Associate Director will be deeply involved in complex decision making, working closely with PPL’s senior leadership, internal and external library colleagues, and designated Trustee committees. The Associate Director will actively represent PPL in statewide collaborative conversations and pursuits. The position serves as an advocate for services and operations, provides support to the Board of Trustees’ Planning Committee, and leads the Library in the absence of the Executive Director. Four Team Coordinators and two Administration staff members report to this position.
- Partner with the Executive Director to develop PPL’s vision and to ensure strategic alignment with the Library’s initiatives and partnerships
- Provide leadership and direction for Library Services Teams to plan and implement services, pursue new initiatives, manage collections, develop policy and process, achieve goals, and assess service quality
- Inspire, mentor and motivate others through listening, questioning and communicating while promoting a culture of trust and respect.
- Research, evaluate and incorporate library trends to ensure the delivery of high-quality services to Portland’s diverse community
- Assume Executive Director duties in the Executive Director’s absence
- Leverage statewide collaborative opportunities
- Advocate for developing and delivering a superior patron experience
Skills and Talents Required
- Strong analytical acumen and a keen understanding of and interest in current and emerging library trends and best practices coupled with the ability to articulate PPL’s business priorities and key services.
- Provide decisive leadership and thoughtful coaching and guidance to staff as they implement strategic initiatives.
- Possess a collaborative leadership style and be an inspiration and resource to colleagues
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for developing alternative service models to best serve patron needs
- Possess an excellent grasp of information technologies and their application
- Detailed knowledge of project management including the ability to estimate the scope and complete projects within a set time frame and budget
- Experience developing and implementing effective collection management guidelines
- Outstanding public speaking and presentation skills
- Knowledge of advancement/development practices and grant management
Education and Experience
- An MLS in Library and Information Services from an ALA-accredited institution, or equivalent, is required.
- Five or more years of progressively responsible leadership in library services and related areas, preferably in a culturally diverse, urban environment.
- Familiarity with a union environment and collective bargaining agreement is helpful.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
Please send a resume and cover letter describing your relevant qualifications and specific interests in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
revised description posted 9-5-2015
Portland is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the U.S. Some recent accolades:
- Parenting Magazine (2012), Best Cities for Families
- Forbes Magazine (2011), Best Cities for Young Professionals
- GQ Magazine (2010), Coolest Cities in America
- Outside Magazine (2010), Best Towns 2010 (Best Overall, East)
To learn more about Portland: