Employment at PPL
At this time, we have 1 (one) current opening. Please see below for more information on the Custodian Position.
Part Time, Benefits Eligible
This position is responsible for performing general custodial tasks as well as supporting maintenance of library operations and facilities in order to maintain a clean, pleasant and safe environment for library patrons and staff. This position is also responsible for delivering materials using library vehicles.
Must be a self-starter, comfortable working independently and possess a strong service orientation.
- Clean and sanitize rest rooms using established practices and procedures
- Clean, dust, sweep, mop and vacuum library facilities daily
- Floor polishing, carpet cleaning
- Restock supplies (i.e. paper towels, toilet paper, hand soap)
- Empty trash and recycling
- Conference room set up and moving furniture and equipment
- Delivery of materials and supplies using library vehicles to various branch locations in Portland
- Basic repair and maintenance functions
- Opening and closing of the building
- Special projects as needed
Must be able to work nights and weekends
- High school diploma preferred.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Good driving record
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Experience with diverse customer base desirable
- Familiarity and comfort level with technology
Background check required
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Human Resources, Portland Public Library, 5 Monument Square, Portland, ME 04101.
Portland, Maine is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the U.S.
Some recent accolades:
- Elle Decor (2015): The Coziest City in America
- Green Living Magazine (2014): #1 Happiest City in the Eastern US
- Huffington Post (2014): One of the 13 Greatest Destination Food Towns
- Outside Magazine (2014): #13 Greatest Place to Live in America
- Smarter Travel (2014): One of America’s Best Small Cities on the Rise
- Wine Enthusiast (2014): One of America’s 5 New Foodie Cities
- Parenting Magazine (2012), Best Cities for Families
- Forbes Magazine (2011), Best Cities for Young Professionals
- GQ Magazine (2010), Coolest Cities in America
- Outside Magazine (2010), Best Towns 2010 (Best Overall, East)
To learn more about Portland: